Thursday, April 5, 2012

Smart Hands

Yesterday was such a beautiful spring day! I went out for a trail ride with Michelle, and we were out for an hour and a half. We worked on trotting, then walking again. We had ridden a bit in the outdoor and they both seemed pretty laid back, and Bold seemed to like Calvin (Michelle's horse) so we were out in the field most of the time.
It went really well- we went around the field twice, and the first time, we decided to trot up a hill going towards home. It was fine- Bold decided to canter, and I actually said "I'm going to circle... Wait, no." Apparently I've gotten a bit braver- I stuck it out to the top of the hill and then walked him.
The second time, we had a really nice trot around the back corner/side of the field, so we figured we would just trot up that hill again, then walk home... Uhh, maybe there's a reason people always say to walk home? Bold gets just a bit barn sour...
We started trotting, which Bold took as canter time, and he was trying to get Calvin to race him, so when Calvin wanted to keep up (about half a stride after Bold went into a canter) Bold thought that was great. So we took off galloping. The little chubby horse can move pretty fast! I was kinda impressed, although also pretty grouchy at the rudeness.
My immediate reaction to the "racing surge" Bold does is to clamp on with my legs and hands. If anyone has tried this, it's not effective. Unless you consider getting the horse to tense up and go faster to be effective, which I don't. Bold speeds off for long enough that I have time to think(also, he's kinda fat so I know he'll have to slow down eventually, so I'm not as panicky) and I realized that I need to actually ride. Sit up more, relax my legs, and STOP HANGING with my hands! Because let's be honest, if I really was only able to stay on my horse by having a death grip on the reins, I would either (a) be a flag or (b) be better off falling.
So I started releasing between half halts. In Bold's little race mode, half halt and release looks a lot like jabbing him in the face with the bit. Which is a really uncomfortable mode for both of us. But way more effective at stopping him. My hands are getting smarter guys.

Also, if anyone was curious- Chubby Morgan horse gallop is really uncomfortable when the horse is grouchy about being slowed down.


The "smart hands" idea was the theme for my trail ride- if I hang, Bold speeds up. If I release, he slows down. Kinda.
Michelle and I had a blast hacking around the farm, and it was a really good ride overall. Michelle and Calvin were the PERFECT pair to go outside with! It was SO MUCH FUN! Bold tried to munch on Calvin's shoulder and Michelle and Calvin had the same reaction, just very calmly "no". Loved it!
Now I'm off to watch a microbiology lecture before lab... I was training cows this morning, so I smell like cow poop. Seriously, this is why I love being an Animal Science major.

No comments:

Post a Comment